Loft space conversion stairways are an essential part of any conversion job so in this write-up we will look at some of the certain building regulations concerning them in addition to a practical reference to help you prepare and prepare the loft stairways for your new task.
The Building Regulations
Rather suddenly the structure regulations pertaining to loft space stairways are not also onerous. The general rule concerning headroom is that there need to be a minimal clearance of 2.0 meters for a staircase yet, for loft stairways, the policies are loosened up a little and also only 1.9 meters requires to be attained. Due to this is there is a slope where the stairs go into the loft then the clearance requires being 1.8 meters and 2 meters on the greatest side.
Width of the Loft Stairs
The typical need relating to the size of loft conversion stairs is that they should go to the very least 800mm broad though that is not always the instance if your new loft space conversion has only one livable area than the building regulations will certainly allow a minimum width of 600mm for the loft stairs.
Types of Loft Stairs
- There three major types of loft stairs; straight norme escalier – reglementation garde corps are one of the most common design of stairways utilized in loft space conversions though they can be divided into 2 various flights with the addition of a little touchdown.
- The second most preferred sort of loft space conversion stairways is spiral staircases which can add a really fashionable element to your general design.
- The third, and also appropriately the last resort, are rotating step or small stairways. These can only be used when area is badly restricted and it simply is not possible to make use of any type of various other kinds of loft stairways.
- Portable staircases are really high and are extremely unsuitable for the young and also old. Using these types of stairways is tightly controlled and they have to have handrails fixed to each side and, it should be kept in mind, they can only be used as a straight trip of stairs. As a result of the deepness and angle of the stairways they cannot be used with a landing or as an edge layout.
Building Regulations – A Summary for Loft Conversion Stairs
- Accept when the building control officer will accept making use of rotating step or small stairways the laws for loft staircases are:
- The pitch must not be steeper than 43 degrees
- The goings which is the main part of the walk should not be much less than 220mm deep
- The risers which is the upright component of the step need to not be greater than 220mm
- Other than as noted over the minimum headroom must be 2 meters throughout the full size of the stair.